Thursday, January 22, 2015

Atlas Obscura CEO David Plotz Answers 5 Questions

1. What Atlas Obscura place do you most wish to visit?

I'm a sucker for a beautiful library, and this one looks like the most gorgeous room in the world: The Philosophical Hall at Strahov Monastery.  http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/strahov-monastery-me

2. What was the most memorable story in Slate during your tenure there as Editor in Chief?

I'll pick two. For pure pleasure and success, it was the brilliant and hilarious John Travolta name generator, which brought more delight to readers than anything we've ever done. http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/low_concept/2014/03/john_travolta_called_idina_menzel_adele_dazeem_what_s_your_travolta_name.html

The article that was most profound, strange, new, and deep was Josh Levin's investigation into Linda Taylor, a woman demonized by Ronald Reagan as the Welfare Queen of America, who turned out to be far far far worse than Reagan ever imagined. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2013/12/linda_taylor_welfare_queen_ronald_reagan_made_her_a_notorious_american_villain.html

3. Where do you get your news?

A huge amount of it from the NYTimes, which is my staple food. I read WP for local, especially sports. I read Slate to have takes on stuff. I track the ebb and flow of the world on Twitter. I read New York Magazine and the New Yorker for pleasure. And always kottke.org, Jason Kottke's blog. And TONS of podcasts

4. How many hours a day do you spend online?

All of it, usually. I rarely go half an hour without being on phone, listening to a pod, or computering. 

5. Do you ever go an entire day without going online?

Once in awhile I 'll have a screenless Saturday or vacation day. But it's very unusual







No comments:

Post a Comment